SMAR offers a range of learning opportunities, including mandatory certification, ethics and licensing classes; continuing education courses (with in-person and online options); our New Agent Academy known as SMAR START; and personal development classes. Through any and all of these choices, SMAR opens doors for you to gain greater knowledge and skill so you can grow your business.
We offer Designation and Certification courses, Pre-Licensing Classes (Principles of Real Estate), and continuing education classes all here at SMAR and occasionally at off-site locations. We also offer access to online courses from The CE Shop and REcampus.
Below you'll find information on Ethics Training mandatory for REALTORS®, Education FAQ's and where you can take DC & VA classes.
Mandatory Ethics Training
All REALTORS® are required to complete a minimum of 2.5 hours of approved Code of Ethics training per three year cycle. The current cycle is January 1, 2019 through December 31, 2021. Failure to complete the required ethics training shall be considered a violation of a membership duty for which REALTOR® membership shall be suspended until such time as the required training is completed. To satisfy this requirement you have a few options:
The National Association of REALTORS® (NAR) provides an online course for FREE. There are two different courses - one for new members and one for existing members. You may access both here and then choose the applicable course. (Note: The NAR online course is not approved for MD CE)
Questions? Contact Robin Hoffman or call 301-274-4406
- MREC (Maryland Real Estate Commission)
- How do I know what I'm required to take? Visit this webpage
- DC Licensing
- Virginia Licensing
- I am a broker, manager or team leader. Do I have to take any special classes to renew my license? The only class that is required for brokers, managers or team leaders is the MREC Supervision Course. It is required every two years beginning 10/1/15. This is in addition to MREC Agency, Fair Housing, Ethics and Legislative Update.
- Does/Will SMAR notify the MREC the courses I have completed? Yes. All schools in Maryland are required to electronically submit course completions to the MREC within 14 days.
- Where do I go to see what classes have been reported to MREC? Click here and log in to MREC website
- Whom/How do I renew my license? You renew with the MREC. The link to renew online can be found on their licensee assistance page.
- Is there anywhere else I can take CE Classes? A list of approved Education providers can be found on the MREC’s website.
- Is there a limit to how many classes I can take online or in the classroom? No. Licensees may take all 15 required online, in classroom, or a combination of both.
- I am looking for online classes. Does SMAR offer those? Yes, we offer discounted courses through the CE Shop.
NAR Commitment to Excellence
The National Association of REALTORS® proudly introduces Commitment to Excellence (C2EX), a program that empowers REALTORS® to demonstrate their professionalism and commitment to conducting business at the highest standards.
REALTORS® defined professionalism in this industry more than 100 years ago when they created the Code of Ethics. C2EX takes professionalism to the next level by enabling NAR members to assess their expertise in 10 (11 for brokers) elements of professionalism ranging from customer service to use of technology.
This innovative engagement tool encourages participation in all levels of the REALTOR® organization. It’s not a designation or a course. It’s not a requirement, but a benefit available to all NAR members at no additional cost.
To get started, log in to www.C2EX.realtor and take the self-assessment that measures your proficiency in each of the elements of professionalism, known as the C2EX Competencies. Based on your results, the platform will generate customized learning paths, recommend experiences, and provide tools and resources to increase your knowledge and enhance your skill sets.
Watch this video to learn more about the Commitment to Excellence program.